Monday, October 8, 2007

Okanagan International Marathon

Well, we did it is all I could think about as Bernie & I crossed the finish line on Sunday in Kelowna.

It was a day to be thankful that I listened to others in my life to get me to this point in my life where I can say that I completed a 1/2 marathon walk. That I listened to my in-laws concerns about my health and walked through the Weight Watchers doors. And that I listened to Heather when she told me that I could totally walk the Vancouver 10K Sun Run which showed me that I really could do distance walking and that I really enjoy it. And to Bernie, who always tends to get roped into these "long" walks.

It was a day of wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.

I had the honor of get my medal placed around my neck by a young lady in wheelchair waiting for walkers and runners to return to City Park. I had such an awesome feeling as we looked each other in the eyes and she said congratulations!!

I was patted on the back by a total stranger running by me completing his race telling me I can do this. How true is that!! I can do anything my heart and mind set out to do!!

Out of a group of 100 walkers, we finished right in the middle of the pack (51st and 52nd). Finishing the 21.1K in 3:08, which is faster then I thought we would do it in. I trained to walk it at 10min/k but we did it 8.9min/K. I guess the excitement of the day gets you moving faster.

There is always a what's next for me.

In February, I plan to climb the 48 story Sheraton Wall Centre for the BC Lung Association's "Climb the Wall" in memory of my Grandpa Smith.

The 2008 Sun Run of course!! But this year I plan to run it.

And then September, I will be walking in Weekend to End Breast Cancer, which is a 3 day 60K walk. I'm so thankful that the women in my life have not been effected by breast cancer but the stats are not in our favor since now 1 in 7 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.

No comments: